On April 1, 2009, the Kenai City Council (4-3 vote) rezoned part of the MAPS neighborhood from residential to commercial without the residents' consent. The Council's decision -
• Disregarded the Kenai Comprehensive Plan and the Kenai Zoning Code;
• Disregarded the Kenai Planning & Zoning Commission recommendation;
• Disregarded overwhelming public testimony AGAINST the rezone.
After the rezone vote, during April 2009, MAPS neighbors and supporters gathered signatures and turned in a referendum petition to repeal the Kenai City Council rezone vote -
• 600 Kenai residents signed the petition, in only 3 weeks;
• The repeal petition is on the October 6, 2009 Kenai election ballot.
WHAT CAN YOU DO? VOTE YES ON PROPOSITION "A". A YES vote -
• Restores the residential zoning discarded by the Council's April 1 ordinance.
• Protects residential neighborhoods from incompatible commercial zoning.
• Promotes centralized commercial development and prevents urban sprawl.
• Upholds the Kenai Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Code.
• Supports appropriate professional development (e.g. dentist office) under residential zoning.